ED Talk Resources
Presentation Notes - October 30, 2018
Stimulate prefrontal cortex
Serotonin boosts transmission of endorphins
Happiness boosts efficiency of brain
Dan Gilbert stumbling unhappiness
Angela Duckworth Grit
Positive psychology in action
Pathway to the PFC
The brain wants to be happy but...neuroplasticity
- Look for good news/positives that exist in their world.
- Gratitude journal - document 3 positive things each day.
- Build an emotional vocabulary.
- Failing is a vehicle for problem solving. When you're empowered you're happy!
- Simplify and disconnect.
- Reflectivity - Power down devices and reflect, bolsters prefrontal cortex activity.
- Pleasure, too much creates habituation. Sweet spot is a balance of pleasure and interest.
- Habits - Yoga and meditation/mindfulness
- Altruism - You feel better when you help others
- Friendships - Socialize more/develop friendships rather than just being with others on a soccer team. Social media encourages looking to get likes, making it hard to live real life and have a good self image.
- Mirror neurons, children think/feel like parents
Learn about upcoming MJDS ED Talk events and mark your calendars to join us! ED talks are free and open to the public.